Monday, October 2, 2017

Feeling Some Pressure (3).

One Race Finished! What Next?

[Photo: Great day for walking or running in London]

I ran my first race in 12 years yesterday and finished strong and svelte. Was I smiling? I'm not certain. (Race photos may be available later this week). But two out of three ain't bad.

The race was short and sweet, 5 kilometres long inside Springbank Park in London. Race time temperature was about 10 degrees, perfect - in my opinion. I ran slow and steady, stayed within my limits and saved a bit of energy for a speedy finish. The crowd went wild : )

This morning I have the sense that The GREAT Canadian Comeback, at two years old, has reached some sort of milestone. After two years of walking, shuffling, jogging, and running (slow and steady) - within my limits and without significant injury - I feel I can continue to 'get out the door' regularly, enjoy fun and fitness activities without hindrance, and experience improvements in stamina, strength, speed, stride efficiency and my overall sense of satisfaction in sport. Not bad for a geezer!

And for the month of October, I plan to continue to add some pressure to my routine as I prepare for race number two in 2017, a 10 kilometre race on October 28th. If I can run 5 km. in 30 minutes, perhaps I'll be able to run 10 in less than 64. You heard it here first.

To celebrate the 'continuing comeback', I now share a few photos from along the way:

 I got more serious about walking on Sept. 28, 2015. MM = More Mountains.

 Yes. I thought the Comeback was a big deal. Still do : )

 Winter walking is usually a real pleasure.

 Early on I felt the benefit of having short but sturdy legs

 I celebrated a milestone on Nov. 25, 2015. 50 walks!

 Another big milestone - Boston Marathon, April 2005

Maybe the biggest milestone: In May, 2004, I qualified for Boston.
V for Victory! 

 Saturday's log. I walked downtown to collect my race kit.

 Fri., Sept. 29: I ran most of 4 miles. "I'm ready for the 5K race."

 My goal for Sunday was 30 min., then 33. My result was "steady."

 Steady Eddie finishes strong in Boston, 2005.

 Weekly miles in September. Plans are about same for October

 10-Week Average grew steadily during September.

 Bib Number 105 is a milestone, not my age.

What next? A 10 kilometre run in under 64 minutes?

Gord's Goals:

Stay within my limits. Bag a few extra hills each week (i.e., add some pressure). Try a few easy accelerations and decelerations while running, e.g., 100 - 200 metres in length. Try to have at least a couple each of 3, 4, 5, and 6-mile "slow and very easy" runs (or thereabouts) before October 28 race.

Stay tuned. 

Please link to Feeling Some Pressure (2).

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment