Friday, October 11, 2019

Walking is Moving Forward While Thinking.

Running and Setting Personal Records Works Too!

Heading north passed the rocky bits. UWO about 4 KM ahead

I called this blog The GREAT Canadian Comeback (about four years ago) because I felt a desire to create a consistent fun and fitness routine (initially focussed on walking here and there) - and I say now I am involved in a very healthy 'work in progress'.

For the first three years I did a lot of walking, covered a lot of miles on my feet and now think we were born to walk, to enjoy a positive forward motion with many benefits - physically, mentally, socially, and more. 

I walk/run/ride toward downtown London several days per week

In my fourth year of making a comeback (in part, from being a bit of a Canadian couch-spud to a more active human bean) I am usually walking 3 days per week (about 7 miles per trip out-the-door) and working out at the YMCA 3 alternate days per week. The workouts include biking or walking to the Downtown London Y and, when there, riding an exercise bike and/or running on a treadmill, and
lifting more than a few weights (about 13,000 pound's worth).

More and more I am feeling that I am making a pretty good comeback. I keep a lot of stats/records and the numbers do not lie. E.g., my weight is down, my running distance and speed are up.

I have come a long way. I hope to go a long way in the future as well,
within my limits, without injury, toward ultimate svelteness! : )

I am not planning to run any future marathons. Thirteen, including Boston, is plenty. But I am running 10 KMs on occasion and feel I can still do so in future years at a comfortable, enjoyable pace. "It's just good to be out there," I said to a fellow runner recently.

I am not planning to run 10 Ks as fast as I once did (44 - 48 minutes, from 1996 - 2006, in my 40s and 50s), but I will continue to keep track of my speed during this comeback and celebrate personal bests in my new, older age bracket (I turned 70 one month ago).

Truth be told, just the other day I ran 3.75 miles in 36:47 at the Y and discovered that result was faster than any other run at that distance in the last 13 years.

WTHeck! A PB at my age?! Crack open the Club Soda and don't skimp on the cranberry juice!!

While celebrating with my soda I came up with an idea re a new APP for seniors who finish a good workout, are exhausted, and want a quick refreshment at a local pub. It's called "Bring Me a Beer, I'm on Your Patio."

PHOTOS from along the way:





















More walks, runs, and photos to follow.

Please link to World Records vs Personal Records. Even At 70 I Sure Like "Getting Better"

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment