Thursday, October 17, 2019

A New PB, By Five Seconds!

It's Not a Race. But It's a Race!

Sometimes a cool day is a runner's delight

My wife's favourite chocolate treat is a Turkish Delight chocolate bar. Mine is a three-pack of Reese's Peanut Butter cups.

I say, "I buy them by the gross and eat them with a shovel!"

When I was a long distance runner my favourite type of running day was between 0 and 10 degrees with cloudy skies and a light breeze, one that would be at my back on the way home. A strong wind in the face on the way to the finish will dishearten any runner, make a grown man cry or swear like a hardened sailor!

When the two runners passed me on the Terry Fox Pathway (top photo) I thought they had it easy. They could go for days in that weather.

Now I'm doing most of my running at short distances (3.75 miles) on a treadmill at the YMCA. And for the fourth run in a row I have lowered my running time for a PB or Personal Best.

Now, I'm not going very fast - no land speed records for this guy -  but I sure get a kick out of shaving even a few seconds off my time. Yesterday I dropped 5 seconds, to 36min:15sec! Wow! Oh, how I love that feeling of a breeze blowing through what's left of my hair.

Thoughts: My overall fun and fitness routine is working out well. I.e., per week; 3 runs at the YMCA and on alternate days a long walk in the 7 - 7.5 mile range. My goal is to cover 40 - 45 walking/running miles with Saturdays off. Run at speeds within my limits, and throw in a longer run on Sunday if the weather is right. I covered about 190 miles in September and am on track to do the same in October. And if I hear of a ten km. road race in the next 4 - 6 weeks I will enter it, to finish the year with an official time and a bib number for the ceiling of my workshop.

Photos from along the way:

 Go west, young man!










 Or go east, young man!








 Winter is coming so I'll likely stay indoors at the YMCA on Sundays as well.

Good thing I turned around after taking that last shot!

Please link to Three PBs in a Row!

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment