Wednesday, October 23, 2019

In The Zone as Colder Weather Arrives (1).

Preparing for a Productive Wintertime.

Running charts all positive; long walks are A1 too.

It took me about one year to do it but I did it.

On November 1, 2018, I joined the YMCA in Downtown London. My first workout included the 3-mile roundtrip from home to the Y, a 1.5-mile's worth of bike riding (i.e., about 30 minutes) and a 1.5-mile walk/run on a treadmill.

The following few weeks I included time in the pool and gradually longer walk/runs. Eventually I developed a weight routine including some free weights and various weight machines.

I kept a journal, recorded my miles and weights and developed a point system to keep my head in the game. As 12 months went by I decreased my Y visits per week and increased my long walks/runs outdoors on city paths. As October 2019 comes to an end and colder weather approaches I have a pretty good point system going and a good idea what I will do to get through the winter.

Are you ready to get out there and plow through the snow?

I will continue The GREAT Canadian Comeback (all in the pursuit of svelteness!) with a well-balanced indoor and outdoor 'fun and fitness' routine that will include walking, running, cycling, weight lifting, and recording progress on my blog. 

With half-decent photos. With the occasional boisterous cheer about a PB or personal best on the treadmill ; )

Results for October 2019. Yesterday's note re a 4-miler in 39min:08sec*. PB!?

*I used to cover four miles in about 32 minutes during training runs (6 - 24 miles, for half- and full-marathons) and in about 30 minutes or less during various longer distance races. But yesterday's run at the Y was my first recorded 4-miler since beginning The Comeback : ) So, yes, it's a PB of sorts, the sort that I now like!

Got my eye on the prize. More PBs and svelteness.

I am in the habit of writing a few stats in a monthly journal now. I am a believer in gradual progress, very gradual, so that I can sense how my muscles, skeleton, feet and joints are handling 5 - 6 workouts per week, the gradual increases in 'pounds of weight' I add to weight lifting exercises, and the gradual increase of speed and distance I add to treadmill runs, etc.

So far, so good. Injury free is a very good thing!  

I like 7-mile walks (2 hours) to U.W.O.; I like 201 visits to the Y in one year.

 I am getting comfortable with 40+ miles/points per week

 My last seven runs are recorded. Red circles,
and one blue circle, are PBs. 

 On Oct. 9 I ran 3.75 mi. faster than 3.5 mi. a few days earlier.

Yesterday I ran 4.0 mi. faster than 3.75 mi. on Oct. 9. Progress!

With cooler weather coming I look forward to walking with a camera in my pocket. And I have the feeling I will stick with 4-milers as my standard distance for at least a month or more. I don't see any reason to go much faster until spring time.

I say that now : )

Photos from last fall and winter.





Happy trails!


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment