Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Three PBs in a Row!

Runners Know What I'm a-Talkin' About : )

I'm on the road (or treadmill) and keeping up to other seniors!

PB = Personal Best. Runners keep track of PBs (i.e., their fastest race times) for various distances, e.g., 5-, 10-, 21.1- (half marathon), 30- (Hamilton Around the Bay Road Race), and 42.2-kilometre (full marathon) distances. 

I keep track of PBs too. I am familiar with all of the above distances and others measured in Imperial units. Oh yeah, I'm that old. I still have a rump roast stuck to the inside wall of my freezer that's measured in pounds. Good price too, including 7 pennies, now completely out-of-date. Maybe I'll BBQ it next summer, have you over.

That being said, because I'm in the process of making The GREAT Canadian Comeback, I am keeping track of how I am doing on a treadmill at the Downtown YMCA related to - for the time being, I say now - distances up to 3.75 miles (or, 6.035 km for people who connect with metric measure).

Greenway Park approves of metric units!

This part of the pathway is between 3.5 and 4.0 kilometres
from the Fork of the Thames. Get used to it, I'm told!

When I stepped up from 3.5- to 3.75-mile-runs last week I also bumped up the treadmill speed from 6.2 to 6.3 mph to see if it was within my limits. And... it was. 

As many will know, because of very complicated mathematical laws (I think one must know some physics as well), the faster I run the more apt I am to get a PB. And I have enjoyed 3 PBs in a row without any message from my feet, knees, legs, back, hips or tricky left hip (aka The Gov'ner). Why, if I adjust the speed just a smidge I could quite possibly get 4 PBs in a row at the same distance, something I may never have in my long (lengthening) lifetime. 

If it happens you will be the first to know,

Photos from along the way:

























Staying within my limits with a very regular habit of walking or running about 6 times per week is really paying off. I think my weight workout is helping too, keeping core muscle groups in good shape.

Dare I say, svelteness is within my limits as well? And just around the corner??

Stay tuned.

Please link to That Was A Good Idea!

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment