Sunday, December 9, 2018

"I'm Goin' to the YMCA!" (1).

Good Things are A-Happenin'.

[Photo: I'm walkn home on Craig St., in case you were askin'.]

While heading home from the Downtown Y on Friday, two thoughts sprang to mind. I'd completed five weeks of walking to the YMCA for workouts, without complaint. And, I'd better watch out for icy patches.

"I've fallen and I can't get up." Yeah, that might be me someday, under a backpack filled with soggy gym-wear. (But, so far so good).

After three solid years of brisk walking and slow, steady running on London's sidewalks and path system - and setting personal/world records in the Senior Shuffling Division - I decided to go back indoors. I felt, if I want to up my game there's no better place to walk, run, stretch and shoot snooker* than the Y.

So I signed away my life on November 1st and haven't looked back. In fact, I'm running 3 miles a day and heading for four. And the speed! 

Photo Credit - The Winnipeg Tribune, June 24, 1942

About the speed: Just as you will not see the above prices for Old Niagara Port and Sherry again in your lifetime, I won't see 8-minute miles (e.g., a dozen, all in a row) in mine.

No worries, I say. If I can corner the market on a slow and steady pace for a few road races in the future - and look svelte in the process - I'll be very content.

I'm still quick enough to do the old 'snap-and-run'!

At present, I like riding an exercise bike for 30 minutes while reading a good book, running slowly on a treadmill (with built-in fan!) for about 35 min., and lifting a few weights, followed by a shower with unlimited hot water and free soap.

I also like my walk (3-mile roundtrip) through the downtown. It serves as a warm-up, a cool-down, and a reminder that our mobility is a tremendous benefit. Fresh air, sights and sounds, changing seasons, constant mental and physical stimulation, good sleeps!

Onward and upward, sveltness just around the corner.

Please link to my last entry - Simply and Steadily Walking 3.

Photos GH

*I was kidding about the snooker.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Gord. Consider joining me in Victoria in April for the 10K .. its a lovely one: https://runsport.ca/tc10k/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Darrell, what a temptation that is!! A 10K in the spring is definitely up my alley. I will continue with my current ladder (adding 0.5 miles/week to my longest run) and see how it goes. So far so good, although sveltness seems a long way off. Gord : )

      Delete