Monday, May 2, 2016

Lessons Learned Along the Way 3

Too Much Too Fast

"I've got the time. So, I have to take the time"

I like doing things by the numbers, recording my stats, putting a checkmark here and another one there, and adding an occasional (or regular) challenge to my fun and fitness routine. Once I hit certain targets or feel I'm making improvements I don't like slipping back or missing a day or taking much time off.

I think I'm prone to doing too much too fast. And The GREAT Canadian Comeback could be riddled with stories about minor injuries if I'm not careful, if I don't learn to take the time to progress gradually, ver-r-r-y gradually.

By the Numbers

The month of April looks all positive from a numbers point-of-view.



For example, in 30 days I walked 27 times and earned a 90% 'Get Out The Door' rate (GOTD), making my 7-month average 92.5%. As well, in April I covered 134.75 miles which amounts to 4.99 miles per walk (I aim to walk 4 miles per weekday, more on Sunday) and earned 5 'extra' four-milers.  Over 7 months of walking my monthly average has increased to 118.7 miles. During the last two weeks I shuffled three times per week, up from one or two times per week. In other words, just about all my numbers are going north.


Lesson Learned

Therefore, it should come as no surprise to the casual observer - or to me - that the weekly workload is too high or is increasing too quickly. During the last two walks, each including some shuffling, a calf muscle stiffened and hurt a bit at about the half way point and did not relax until after I'd returned home. Oh, I'll live, but a message was sent and received. Too far too fast. Too much too soon.

There is no need for me to shuffle three times per week or walk more than four miles per weekday. As in the past, I am pushing myself to progress faster than my ability level can handle. I have the time so I need to take my time.


"I wasn't smiling when my calf started sending me messages"

This week's goals:

Shorter walks on weekdays.

Fewer shuffling-off-to-Buffalo miles.

Nurse the calf.

Slow down and enjoy the view.

More to follow.

Please link to Lesson Learned Along the Way 2

No comments:

Post a Comment