Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Lessons Learned 4

Spend Money on Good Shoes

"Four miles maximum for the next few days"

There's nothing like being prepared. Though I'm going to slow down on the shuffling in order to make progress toward jogging/running/sprinting more gradually, I still need to think about the future and ask important questions now:

     How many miles on my current shoes?

     Can I afford new shoes? (I bet prices have gone up in the
     last 11 years. I'd better start saving up!)

     Will my old spandex tights still fit?

I was reminded to buy new shoes during yesterday's walk when a girl ran passed me wearing cross-trainers. My current shoes have low mileage but they were designed for walking, not running, and there is a difference.... in the shoe's 'last' or platform.

There is a difference between runners and cross-trainers too. Runners are for running. Cross-trainers are for various uses, e.g., workouts at a gym, cutting the grass, jogging to the closet to grab your real running shoes before a run, etc. I knew the girl who passed me was wearing cross-trainers because of the sound they made. Poor soles for running. Smack, slap, smack, slap.

I won't skimp on good runners. So, when I do start to shuffle and jog more quickly and longer distances - say, in a few months yet - you won't hear me coming.

Photos From Along the Way





Please link to Lessons Learned Along the Way 3

No comments:

Post a Comment