Monday, March 4, 2019

Still at the YMCA, But.... (2).

Sore Hip May Have been an Early Warning.

[Photo: I am studying "the details" to understand the larger picture*]

Remember the DEW Line, made up of radar stations in the Arctic (built when I was a child in the mid-1950s) to give an early warning if North America was attacked by the Soviet Union?

As a young elementary school student I didn't have the foggiest idea about the 'who (Soviets, Russkies? Is that a new cereal?), why, when or where' associated with the Distant Early Warning apparatus, but I do recall being told by an early-grade teacher how to hide under by desk for some reason. "Hiding under your desk" was a thing in the 1950s.

(Lessons about nuclear warfare or Soviet long-distance bombers or being blown to smithereens was not). 

Distant past memories came to mind recently after I made a decision to slow down - and stop for the time being - my pursuit to add more running miles to my fun and fitness routine. The sore hip I was experiencing in the very recent past (two weeks ago) seemed like an early warning of more problems to come if I kept running on a treadmill on a regular basis.

I'm old enough to know that there are some lines I should not cross 

So, my routine at the YMCA has changed over the last two weeks. I still walk downtown but I ride an exercise bike on a regular basis in place of the treadmill run. I don't think the change will affect my pursuit for svelteness very much at all!


March stats started with a 3.0 mi. walk and 75 minutes on the bike with a good book in hand. Totals for the week reached 40 miles by Friday, so I relaxed on Saturday. Average miles for the last ten weeks came in at 41.525 miles, and on Friday my cumulative total of reps (each, of various stretches, and situps, and sets of strength training exercises) hit 5,725. Will I hit 10,000 reps total by December 31? Odds are about 50-50, says the bookmaker.


Most of my March Journal is a blank slate at the moment but by the end of the month I will have covered many more miles and know if I want to give the running game one more try, slower, with more gradual progress.

How I will react to the idea, "I'm not a runner anymore," I'm not sure. I suppose as long as I can keep moving forward in other ways, then I should be able to maintain a positive attitude about various other fun and fitness routines.

So, I don't think the sun is setting on The GREAT Canadian Comeback!!
Not by a long shot, in my opinion.

*The top photo depicts a small portion of a mural I found on my way to the Downtown YMCA. What is the "larger picture?" More will be revealed soon.

Please link to Still at the YMCA, But.... (1).

And, stay tuned. News at 11.

Photos by GH

No comments:

Post a Comment