Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The Transition Zone 7 (Breakthrough!)

Steady Eddie in Slow Transition


I started The GREAT Canadian Comeback on September 28, 2015 with a brisk walk that was recorded in my ever-present journal (cheap day-planner) as MM1, i.e., 'Miles and Mountains 1'. At the time, as I crossed the Start Line, I wanted to cover a couple of miles several days per week and include travelling up and down a few challenging hills. I knew then that if I got out for brisk walks on a regular basis my fitness level would gradually improve.

Since that date I have recorded many positive results related to my fitness and I've enjoyed a lot of fresh air, along with good scenery, pleasant conversations and surprises, and satisfaction in the whole enterprise at the same time. I can only recall one small set back, i.e., a sore left foot, but it is definitely on the mend so all is well in my book.

Here we are almost 11 months later.

Where am I at?

I would say I'm at a pretty interesting stage on this long-and-winding-road of a comeback (from generally couch-potato-like to regularly active and productive). I have developed some pretty decent 'fun and fitness' habits - from Sept. 28, 2015 - August 8, 2016 - and notice perceptible, positive improvements in three or four key areas:

     - I have gone outside for walks and jogs for 89% of the calendar dates

     - I walk/jog about 120 miles per month

     - I now include some jogging about every third day of each month

     - During the last month or more, I have noticed improvements in
       my strength, stamina and speed while jogging

I have also noticed that I don't mind taking all the time I need to make slow, gradual (perceptible) progress. (My motto: I've got the time so I'll take my time. After all, the comeback is part of a 20-year plan, not a 20-week ambition). I know that as long as I stay within my physical limits and 'get out the door' 4 - 6 days per week my limits will grow and improvements will be almost guaranteed.

On Aug. 7 I walkajogged* 5.25 miles and covered each mile in under
13 minutes. Stand back, I say. Blinding speed!

It's a long and winding road but I'm still on it and doing well

Please link to The Transition Zone 6 (Breakthrough!)

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment