Friday, June 19, 2020

New Running Goal, New Training Chart (2)

New Schedule Too, aka It's Hot Out There!

Some days it feels hot enough to fry a toad. Not that I would!

I have my eye on such a great goal - Hamilton Around the Bay 30K Road Race, November 22 (if permitted) - so I'm pretty sure I won't make any big adjustments to my walking and running routine until Winter Break (the week after the race and the weeks before and after Christmas). The November 30 km or 18.6 mile event would be my tenth kick at the can, and I feel it would be a great achievement, even at a significantly slower pace than my last finish in 2004.

As well, I have developed a solid training chart that touches all the bases. No need to fuss over it at all, what with over five months to go. Each of my two walks and four runs per week (all are 6 - 7 miles in length) fits my profile (my needs, limits, interests) and together they touch on the most significant elements of long distance running.

For example, the walks (Monday and Thursday) provide rest and relaxation and help me monitor overall conditioning and health. My hilly routes, and hill repeats, develop leg strength; the race pace route helps me develop a steady, efficient stride for race day; the up-tempo run (incl. accelerations, and faster intervals) helps me keep pace with a few other healthy runners in my age group, and puts a little more gas in the tank when needed; and my long run (14.25 km. last Sunday) develops needed stamina or endurance.

As long as I can ramp up the long run in a gradual way, within my limits, and eventually get close to 30 km by mid-November, I should be able to enjoy Hamilton's historic race to a high degree for the duration (maybe even cross the finish line in under three hours). 2:59:59 would be brilliant.

I've only been on the new training chart for about 4 weeks so "it's early days," I say. That being said, after one hot, muggy run I decided to smarten up and shift my walks and runs from PM to AM, and it's made a very good difference. After 11 AM the tarmac gets hot enough to fry an egg, or toad, whichever one may spot during a daily jaunt. (My photo of Mr. Toad is from earlier this week. With gentle encouragement from the side of my running shoe, it was soon off the path, away from traffic, and well-hidden in a nearby shady spot). 

Photos From Along The Way:




Long run on 14 June was 2mi. + 11km; I put off hills for a day - bad back

Three good runs in a row. Speed work today is a PB (personal best)

Weekly miles are staying in the 40s. So far, the temperature is not!!

There will be no increase in the long run this Sunday

My up-tempo run, w accelerations, is going well...

Speed work days are followed by a 'relaxn on deck' day : )

Up-tempo run is getting blazing fast! Can I get to 5 min. per km?

Pretty straightforward chart to follow. 4 runs, 2 walks per week

A half-marathon in Aug. - Sept. would be cool!

I'm not going to set the world on fire but am enjoying everything about the summer runs except the mugginess or humidididity. That being said, because of mugginess, someone invented cold beer, and after a long run my front porch is the best place in town for a cool down.

I hope runners who visit this site are all enjoying a good, productive running season.


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment