Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Speed is a Relative Term (1)

Stamina, Strength, Speed. In That Order. 

This isn't me. I wish! I'm shorter and slower. But just as determined : )

August was a busy month. My wife had knee replacement surgery shortly after our 49th wedding anniversary and my final workshop project deadlines came... and went without incident.

I tried to keep priorities in order and after my wife was comfortable (with a meal or with worries sorted) I headed out for a YMCA workout (13 visits during the month) or walk or run or bike ride (186.25 miles covered) along city multi-purpose pathways. 

At the YMCA I completed 3-mile runs at a comfortable clip on the treadmill and improved my overall speed on a weekly basis. 

About that speed: Years ago, while attempting to qualify for the Boston marathon, e.g., in 2003 - 2004, I warmed up by running longer distances at 7.5 miles per hour (or 8 minutes per mile pace) and included a lot of mile repeats in the 8.0 - 8.9 mph range. Now I am happy to warm up at 5.5 mph in order to top out at 5.9 - 6.0 mph (or 10 minutes per mile pace).

On paper I am a lot slower. But as far as my comfort zone is concerned, I am steady, and as stamina, strength and speed improve, I really enjoy each passing mile with a lot of pleasure. 

The 186.25 miles I covered in August is the third highest monthly total since I started keeping records in October 2015, thanks in part to a good number of 7 mile walks along city paths. (Tonight I will cover 8 miles with two neighbours who are preparing for a hiking vacation in October. Awesome).

Photos From Along the Way (one of my 7-mile routes):









 My turn-around point north of University Drive (less than
one mile from the Grad Club at Middlesex College!)








Shorter, slower... but still steady!

Please link to It's All About Timing (2).

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment