Thursday, October 4, 2018

Simply and Steadily Walking 2.

Three Years and Counting (Lots of Counting).

[Photo: Walking south in Old South. And I won't stop.]

At the end of this month (October) I will complete my third year of steady walking (and some running, with a purpose, and with daily records), in an attempt to make The GREAT Canadian Comeback.

I have developed quite the habit and consistently cover over 120 miles per month - without any blisters.

And I haven't been lost once, except for that time (late at night in England, 2014) when I turned the wrong way at a wonky London intersection and - after about 200 metres - realized I was heading SW instead of West.

"I don't recall this intersection. Whoops!"

In November I'll take time to make a right and proper summary of some of the lessons learned along the way and count up how many miles I've covered to date. I bet it's over 4,000!

Photos from along the way:




Thanks to good sidewalks and well-travelled pathways I travel north, south, east and west with a growing number of other people out for some fun and fitness activities. Somedays I have the paths to myself, or almost, as evidenced by the photos above.

I like writing things down so that I can keep track of mileage by the day, week, month and year. I would say that Steady Eddie (surely we all know at least one) would be pleased with my results over three years.

For the weeks ending Sept. 22 and 29 I completed 32 miles. 

Last January I started making the effort to complete a particular set of exercises (focussed on stretching, push-ups, sit-ups, and strength training) on a regular basis, to compliment my walking routine. I began with small numbers, e.g., ten of this and ten of that, and now I'm up to 25 of this and that, 3 - 4 times per week. Why, if I'm not svelte in another few years I'll be very surprised.

 "Can I hit 5,000 reps by the end of this year? We shall see."



I am enjoying the fall weather (great temperatures at present) and look forward to dusting off my winter coat and boots in a couple more months. 

Some recent numbers:

3 years of dedicated walking w some running - completed

139, 133 and 134 miles covered in the last 3 months

average miles per walk - over 5 miles for the last 5 months

average miles per week - over 30 since March

More to follow.


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment