Saturday, August 19, 2017

This is a Breakthrough Week.

Happy Sad Fish.

[Will I run? Will I walk? Swim maybe?]

I saw the chalk drawing of a happy sad fish about two blocks from home the other night. I was walking, not running, but I was thinking about running, maybe walking, maybe running a bit, maybe walking all the way to Gibbons Park and back.

In other words, I was undecided at the moment. I knew I would warm up first, walk 5 - 10 minutes, then - as I usually do this time of year - runs a block or two and see how I really feel about running during that evening. No pressure. 

The fish looks undecided too. I see a blue snout and pink smile, and I see a pointy nose and a frown. This is one conflicted codfish, in my humble opinion, and on that night I felt the same way for a few seconds.

Seven runs in August so far, more than the fish.

Then I reminded myself that there is no pressure on me to run. I can run if I want, walk if I want. The key goal is to get outside and have a fun and fitness walk of 3 - 5 miles in length, and I was outside and on my way to accomplishing that goal. Why, I've had five runs in a row this week with no complaints. (That's a breakthrough for me!) And I was in new shoes and nice looking shirt and shorts, my socks matched and I was setting a good pace. Life is good.

Funny looking fish, I thought when I saw it, so I stopped and took a picture.  

Once passed The Sweet Onion Grill in Wortley Village I did what I often do, i.e., I leaned forward and started to shuffle (the Harrison Shuffle is recognized world-wide as a lead-up to the Harrison Jog) and counted off 100 strides. Easy stuff. Then I walked a bit, then shuffled and jogged a bit more, then settled into the routine of jogging and walking and jogging within my limits. No pressure.

Lately I've noticed my jogging stride is getting smoother and faster and my breathing is more comfortable when I stop for a walking break. Why, at this rate of development I'll be ready for a 5 or 10 kilometre road race in October. Goal - to finish comfortably (take walking breaks along the route if I want), pick up a new T-shirt, say hello to a few running buddies from my past, go home and celebrate on my front porch with a cold beverage. Sounds like something I can handle.

Photos from along the way:

Heading toward Gibbons Park and Baldwin Flats.

Two paddlers calling it quits. Not me!

Blackfriars Bridge, on my way north.

Later, Blackfriars Bridge, on my way south.

Please link to More Miles in Winter.

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment