Thursday, April 14, 2016

The Early Days - 2

"Oh I Could Go On and On"

The Terry Fox Pathway is one of my favourite walking routes

I could talk about my glory days as a long-distance runner, and what I learned about the sport, at great length. But, I might never run another road race. Now that I'm walking over 100 miles per month, on average, I now consider myself a long-distance walker, though I'm not exactly sure where the long road ahead will lead. Toward fun, fitness and a local running shoe store for a new pair of sneakers, at the very least, I suppose.

My walking records for the last six months reflect my progress related to The GREAT Canadian Comeback:


The small chart needs some explanation. A quick glance reveals that most of the numbers in the six columns are going north, and that's a good thing.

The first column lists the numbers of days in each month and the second shows the number of walks I completed each month - holding pretty steady at a good rate. In fact, in March I walked 32 times in 31 days (briskly, generally four miles at least).

The third column converts the number of times I 'got out the door' each month (GOTD) to a percentage. Wow. If my marks where that high in 1968 when I attended university for the first time, I'd now be a brain surgeon and likely flying to Paris for supper on Friday nights in my own jet. The fourth column keeps track of the monthly GOTD rate as the months pass and accumulate.

The fifth column keeps track of the number of miles I walk during each individual month, and column six reveals the monthly average of miles as months pass and accumulate.

After six months I will say that I likely won't often complete more walks than there are days in the month. That being said, my goal is to walk four miles each weekday (a bit longer on Sundays), and if I walk more than four miles on two or three successive weekdays (e.g., 5 miles + 5 + 6 = 16) I'll count an 'extra' walk to my day calendar.

Example below:

 From April 5 - 7: 7 miles + 4.5 = 4.5 = 16. Walk #10 is an 'extra'.

More can be said about the chart, I'm sure. It reveals I have a good GOTD habit, I like keeping track of my miles and I'm building a good foundation for the next six months of long-distance walking. My daily calendar (above) reveals I like red and blue T-shirts and spandex tights, wear a variety of hats and have running shoes that are longer than my legs.... only part of which is actually true.

I'd say more but the clock says I should get ready for my walk to Old East London to pick up one pound of freshly ground Ethiopian coffee.

See you out there, I hope.

Photos from along the way:

 Sunday and Monday, April 10 and 11, were good walking days

 These cats live in Old East. Maybe I'll see them again today.

Cheery red cheeks may disappear as Spring temperatures climb

Please link to The Early Days - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment