Tuesday, December 8, 2020

The GREAT Canadian Fish Story December 2020 (1)

AKA "1000 Maybe 2000 Fish" in the Thames River

The fins of Gizzard Shad look like tiny shark fins. 

Introduction:

Just 250m north of Black Friars Bridge on the Thames Valley Parkway (east side of the Thames River) one comes to a spot where the pathway narrows and passes over a very small stream. Black metal railways keep one from falling into the water if you're looking at a loose shoelace and not what lies ahead.

In late November - early December the mouth of the stream was alive with "1000 Maybe 2000 Fish" as I liked to say. I took numerous photos and a few videos over the period of 4 - 5 days and I must say - because I have never seen such a thing - they still fascinate me. 

I have read that the fish are called Gizzard Shad and information about the name could likely form the basis of another story. I say, knock yourself out!

Below I share a few "photos and videos from along the way":  

Still shot: A few more photos can be found here "Productive November"

Video: 6 seconds. GH


More to follow.

Photos and Videos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment