Friday, October 2, 2020

Photos From Along the Way: Late September 2020 (2)

The End of a Long-Distance Month

Clouds opened as I snapped this frame. Good thing camera has protective case!

Introduction:

The month of September was record setting, but not for rain.

Sure, I got wet once or twice while walking or running my miles on the Thames Valley Parkway (TVP), including the always-popular Terry Fox Pathway, but the record related to total miles travelled in one month.

For the first time since I started keeping accurate accounts, I passed 221 miles total (walking + running) in one month. It works out to 7.92 miles per outing (i.e., 28 days out of 30). Two or three long runs, in preparation for the now-cancelled Hamilton 30 Km road race, put me over the previous record (218.5 mi., Jan. 2020). 

Though I have a few factors that really work in my favour as a middle- or long-distance walker/runner (sturdy legs, injury-free 99% of the time, born to walk, know how to easily train myself to run, don't mind spending $160+ for good shoes, and more), I think the secret is that - a number of years ago now - I won the battle of getting off the couch and getting out the door on a regular basis, e.g., 80 - 90% of the days per month. 

There's a long and exciting story (oh, I'm sure it would be exciting : ) in there somewhere, and I'll be sure to write it someday. Until then, I'll take a camera on some of my walks, tell my story a 1,000 words at a time.

Photos from along the way:

The Great Wall is a major undertaking




Good view from Oxford St. bridge, looking south toward Blackfriars


Old cement embankments are disappearing in favour of The Wall

So, lots of noise and action both on and under Oxford St.







One of my favourite wee bridges, in Gibbons Park





Getting close to home in Wortley Village



For more recent photos, please link to Photos From Along the Way: Late September 2020

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment