Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Now This Is Happening (3).

Great Running Schedule. Great Results on Paper!! 

"Some days you just want to go out for a ride!"

I registered online for a half marathon road race back in January. I created a workout chart very shortly thereafter (recording keeping is a thing for me), and kept track of my progress into mid-March.

I felt I was doing quite well. My charts and graphs and bells and whistles seemed to suggest that I could run the half (on April 26) at a pace of about 6 minutes per kilometre. I would not break any world records but I would do OK in my age group. And I liked my training at the YMCA and occasional long run on the Thames Valley Parkway (TVP) and I was staying healthy, uninjured, steady. Almost svelte! : )

Walkn to the Y. Walkn to the Y. Walkn to the Y. 

I walked downtown three times per week and ran on the treadmill. 

On a very regular basis I completed 4 types of runs per week. I did 'an incline run' to develop leg strength. I did 'a race pace run' so that I knew what it felt like and I knew I could comfortably maintain it for 6 miles. I did 'a speed work run' - gradual increases in speed, interval training - and my race pace gradually started to feel easier. I did 'a long run' on Sundays with a gradual increase in distance over time.

Sometimes I would go north on the TVP to UWO.
Usually I would run west toward Springbank Pk.

And on Sunday, March 15 I completed 16.25 km. at 5min:50sec per/km. All was well. 

Then the YMCA shut down. Then the Forest City Road Race was cancelled (later to be replaced with a virtual run).

What's a guy to do?

In short form, I went for a walk, then a lot more, and then I had an idea, kind of a last-minute, hasty, dumb one.

Stay tuned.

Please link to Now This Is Happening (2).

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment