Wednesday, January 15, 2020

This Is Happening (2).

Easy Speed Work for Starters.

I have traded the trail for a treadmill. Same thing...
but different.

Today's assignment: Y 5 mi. w ladder.

I know what it means because it's on my training chart as I prepare to run a half-marathon in late April. And I made the training chart.

It means I need to go to the YMCA, pick a nice and steady treadmill (rather than an outdoor, measured trail), run 5 miles, set a pace that is close to my predicted or desired race pace, and then get on a ladder.

When I was younger and a serious half-marathoner/marathoner my predicted or desired race pace was often based on my desire to run fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon, the chief goal of many a runner. Currently, I just want to develop enough strength and speed to transport myself comfortably over 21.1 km. or 13.1 miles and cross the finish line with a smile on my face.

So, when I step onto the treadmill after lunch I will gradually increase the speed to 10.0 kph during the first 2 - 3 minutes. I already know, by past performance over the last year or two) that 10.0 kph (kilometers per hour, or 6 min. per km) is a comfortable speed and it is very close to my predicted race pace.

I still think 'in miles' but will train 'in Ks' because the
race course will be marked in Ks

About that ladder thingy: Once I have warmed up on the treadmill, i.e., after about 5 minutes of comfortable running, I will increase the speed to 10.1 kph, then to 10.2 kph, etc., every half-kilometer or thereabouts (gradually), until I reach my top speed (within my current limits), then reverse the process back to 10.0 kph, and even lower if desired.

Over the course of the next 14 weeks I will repeat the same type of run every Wednesday, and gradually increase the distance I cover on the treadmill. E.g., in February I will start running 5.5 miles during the Wed. workout. And my overall speed should increase a bit too, while staying within my limits.

We'll see how that goes!

Please link to This Is Happening (1).

Photos GH

1 comment:

  1. Results of yesterday's Y treadmill workout. I ran the 5.0 miles (8.05 km.) in record time. Doesn't surprise me. It was 'speed work' and I only started records for 5-milers a week or two ago. After warming up at 10.0 kph I increased speed gradually, from 10.1 - 10.9 kph, one-half km at a time, then reversed the process, back down to 10.3. I will repeat almost the same process next Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete