Saturday, August 8, 2026

Walking with a Camera

 Still Running? Not Me. But my Walking Habit -

With a Camera - is Very Regular. Steady Eddie!

"Walking the TVP" is now a popular video series : )

Introduction:

Occasionally I will run a few short distances, each followed by a walking break, just to see if I have it in me to run a 10 K or half marathon - my favourite 'long distance' race now, after several years of the training I went through to prepare for 13 marathons, including Boston. And while running a bit I admit to myself that I'm really not interested in a half marathon, not even a 10 K.

And the day after running a bit I get the feeling that my regular walks - usually 4 to 6 miles in length - are more than enough to support a fun and fitness routine that will last at least another 10 years. I really like walking, especially on days that I take a camera or two. There is a lot of wildlife out there that I enjoy tracking down, including a bird species, deer, fish in the Thames River (e.g., spotted gar!) and turtles.


Especially turtles. Snappers, red eared sliders, Common Map and Northern Map, painted and spiny soft shell turtles, most of which are listed as endangered species in Ontario.

As I walk about town on the Thames Valley Parkway I am aware of when I have walked 4 - 6 miles, hoping to maintain my 30 - 35 mile average each week. Currently my ten-week average is at 32.0 miles and I'm hoping to gradually bring it up to 35.

A spiny soft shell turtle in the Thames River
 
"There's always something going on at Turtle Point"

Because I have 16,000+ photographs and 667 videos taking up storage space on my iMac, and I keep getting reminders from Apple.Inc to buy more space, I have been trimming the numbers (very gradually, down from 24,000+!!) by making YouTube videos.

Especially about turtles : ) I've been at it so long that my family now buys me 'turtle gear' for birthdays and Christmas! Turtle t-shirts, PJs, stuffed toys, socks!!


Below I have provided links to a few recent videos. I now say that 'fun and fitness and cameras' go together. Whatever gets me out the door!




Questions or comments can be dropped off here - gordh7700@gmail.com

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment