Friday, March 25, 2022

Steady Eddie: A Walking and Running Habit (Part 3)

It Isn't Always Easy to Form a New, Long-Term Habit

World War III Might Happen as You Carve Out Time!!

March 23, 2022; London ONT; cold, wet, windy, crappy, yucky
I walked a shorter route, four miles. My jeans - still dripping

Introduction:

I know! I like writing 6 or 6.5 or 7 or 7.5-points into my journal six days per week. But today was a bust. My jeans, shoes and the elbows of my jacket were soaked within 10 minutes, my hands and feet were cold and the umbrella almost took a trip by itself to the other end of the street I live on in Old South London. I had a 6-miler in mind when I stepped out the door this morning but by the time I reached one mile I was already thinking about cutting things short.

If I end the week with 40 - 45 miles/points, I'm a happy camper

The wind blew me home faster than expected. "More time for lunch," I said to myself.

I knew the weather was not my favourite while putting on my kit and I still chose poorly. But it didn't appear to be too wet - "only a few sprinkles" - or windy as I was tying up my runners and selecting a particular jacket. And a heavier wind and rain started after 10 minutes. Yeh, that's it. It's not my fault for getting soaked! 

That being said, what I didn't have trouble with was "getting out the door." At this time of year my 'walking/running time' is generally before lunch. And, yes, I'm retired, so I not only have the best of both worlds, I have the best of many.... wherever they may be. 

Retired or not, just about everyone who wants to start a new habit and stick to it will encounter enemy hostility. Real bullets will not likely fly but it may still feel like a strong battle is going on - or several fights on many war fronts - as one tries to carve out (e.g., 30 minutes per day, 3 - 5 days per week) the time needed to develop a walking/running habit.

Call 'enemy hostilities' what you will but one's 'established routines, daily responsibilities, common expectations (your own, a partner's, boss's or business's, a parent's or a family's), promises, household projects, etc. (we all got a lot of these important connections in our lives), are attached to one's timetable like barnacles to a yellow submarine.

Routines, responsibilities, expectations and projects are attached
to one's timetable "like barnacles to a yellow submarine" GH

Possible Plans vs Blinking Barnacles

"I'm heading out for a 30-minute walk now, Mom." "What about your homework?!"

"I'm heading out for a 30-minute walk now, Dear." "Wait. You said you'd cut the grass today."

"I'm heading out for an easy run after dishes are done." "You said you'd bike with Charlie."

"I'm heading out after I cut the grass." "You're folks are serving us supper in 30 minutes."

"You've already played hockey twice this week." "You already spent some money on woodworking tools!" "You've got a partner, three children and a job. Training for a half-marathon is like having another part-time job. 'Nuff said." 

Of course, personal new goals, daily routines, distinct distractions and established responsibilities, etc. will vary per person or household. So will the solutions to carving out more time to walk and run on a regular basis.

Put 100 walkers and runners in a room and ask them how they made time for their fitness habit. There will likely be 100 different answers about doing less of this to do more of that, especially about how to deal with barnacles, including thoughts about how to make sacrifices, or how partners shared sacrifices ("I'll help you walk/run if you help me with the kids, shopping, etc."), how people looked at priorities closely, then reconfigured their top ten (e.g., "I dropped golf and picked up running and saved money and several hours per week") or even blended two priorities into one (e.g., "I wanted to save money and improve my fitness so I started walking to work, 30 minutes one way. That's 300 minutes a week! Lookit my calves. Lookit!!") 

Life ain't easy and if one wants to make a good habit of walking and running, up to 30min. - 2hr. per day, other habits or interests have to give or go. Oh, what else can one possibly do?

Over the last few years I've sold my motorcycle, stopped making 100s of woodworking projects (per year), and stopped playing hockey. I still keep busy by going to London Knights' games and maintaining a few websites and completing various art projects. But two hours per day, six days a week, for walking/running is a very high priority. 

And it shows. I'm so close to svelte you wouldn't believe it... and that's the best thing to do... don't quite believe it : )

More posts related to The GREAT Canadian Comeback will soon follow.

Please click here to read Steady Eddie: A Walking and Running Habit (Part 2)

Unattributed Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment