Sunday, November 15, 2020

Four Weeks Have Blown By!

The Key to Success is "Making Time for Fun and Fitness" : )

Stats From Oct. 18 - Nov. 14, 2020

Leave the house, lock it up, cross the street, keep going for 3 - 4 miles

Introduction:

Last time I posted an entry, four weeks ago, I mentioned a few words about my progress during the week of October 11 - 17. I'd covered 49 miles in six days of walking and running. Healthy as a horse, i.e., a healthy horse with good horse power.

Looking back, if I'd had a half-marathon race on Sunday, Oct. 18th, I would have finished in 2 hours and six minutes or better (6:00 min./km). But I didn't have a race to look forward to (once I'd learned the Hamilton 30Km Road Race had been officially cancelled in early October), just a goal to enjoy the outdoors and maintain a good fun and fitness schedule.

Since that time (to Nov. 15) I have mainly walked and biked (only two runs) every day but five, and covered 180 miles (using an equivalency chart; 1.e., 15 min. biking = 1 mile walking/running).

However, sometime between Oct. 25 - 28 I rolled my right foot twice off the edge of the tarmac on the Thames Valley Parkway. As well, I stepped into two divots that were hard to see due to fallen leaves, shadows and puddles on the paths.

As a result, on Oct. 28 I declared an injury, and began to do a fair bit of biking (indoors) to maintain my fitness routine, along with a bit of careful, shorter-distance walking to help assess the healing process. And today I would say I still need to emphasize the biking - and limit the walking - for another week at least.

I am fortunate I have a decent recumbent bike and a pile of good books I wish to read : ) I am also fortunate that I am used to (have the habit of) carving about two hours out of each day for a reasonable exercise routine. I would imagine that for most people the battle to carve out time for exercise is the toughest hurdle they face when developing a satisfactory and satisfying 'fun and fitness' schedule. 

"What must one give up to pick up an extra 60 - 120 minutes per day for exercise?" 

That is the question. And if I were to write a book about The GREAT Canadian Comeback I think Chapter One would be all about answering that question.

Until then, here are some photos from along the way:

Taking life easy last weekend


Scottish piping, Harris Park


"Getting Out the Door" is the secret to success, exercise-wise : )

"Running Faster Than Bears" is the secret to survival

Ready for Hallowe'en "Trickr Treatrs"


Short walk on Oct. 27; no walk Oct. 28 due to "injury"

"heel better!" - I was overly optimistic on Oct. 29

Lots of biking in November

I reduced travel due to weather and a foot injury

When the snow is gone take a road trip to Charlotteville Brewery 


Please link to the previous post - A Week's Work (7)

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment