Monday, May 18, 2020

Now This Is Happening (5).

Getting Out the Door for the Hamilton 30K Road Race?

I heard voices chattering behind me, so I went faster. "Catch me if you can." 

Since I ran my virtual half-marathon on Wednesday, April 22, I have been alternating walking and running seven miles per day. The walk takes approx. two hours and the run takes about 6 minutes per km. for the most part.

I'm not worried about the time because once I 'get out the door' I really enjoy the exercise and the time to think. I mull over small - large projects I am working on or want to do next (re tidying and rearranging my backyard workshop, my research and writing about 'Dad's Navy Days', even my next slow cooker stew, etc.), and, quite naturally, because I am covering miles in a relaxing manner, I wonder if there might be another road race in me.

I did mention a future half-marathon in the last entry. I.e., on April 30 I wrote:

This afternoon, during a four-mile walk (while a Honda dealer was putting summer tires on my car), I thought about a fall half marathon.

"Why, you know you wanna do it." Check.


And now I'm thinking about an even longer road race* in the fall, the Hamilton Around the Bay Road Race. It is 30 kilometres long and - perhaps for the first time in its long and illustrious history - is being run in November this year (due to COVID-19) instead of at the end of March.

I realize the jump from 21.1 to 30 kilometres is a substantial one. I realize that my last 30-km road race was 16 - 17 years ago, so that makes me.... lemme see now.... a lot older!

But it's one of my favourite races on one of my favourite courses in one of my favourite cities.

 The last 3 - 4 kilometres is mostly downhill (lovely!!) to flat (lovely!).

During my successful Boston qualifier (marathon in London), 2004, I wore
my favourite racing shirt, i.e., 110th Anniversary of Hamilton 30K

While walking and running recently I have mulled over connected thoughts related to the Hamilton race:

It is a historic race; longest running in North America.

I have completed the race 9 times. Number Ten would be significant in more ways than one.

I could do a half-marathon prior to the 30-Km event to get an official read re my race pace.

My sons and I completed a beer tour in Hamilton last year and want to return.

 Though I have completed 13 marathons, I have finished more 'Hamiltons'
than any other individual race. Definitely my favourite course.

In November, the medal might commemorate the 127th Anniversary. Cool!!

Gord and David head toward the finish line at the Forest City Marathon
in 1996. (David finished well ahead and joined me later to lend support).

My oldest son David is also getting back into long distance running and it would be a treat to cross another finish line with him.

Registration for Hamilton 30Km opens in early October so there is lots of time to train and think and think and train.

So, I'm thinking about it and specific changes to my training are already being considered. E.g., today I start adding hills to my running/walking routine in order to get ready for that last hill in Hamilton.

More thoughts about my thoughts will follow.

*A fall half marathon is still not out of the question. Why not do both? That's another story : )

For more details about running and then running some more, please link to Now This Is Happening (4).

Photos by GH

No comments:

Post a Comment