Monday, December 10, 2018

"I'm Goin' to the YMCA!" (2).

Week Six Fits like a Charm

[Photo: I spent last year on London's paths. Now I'm on a treadmill. Y?]

What's wrong with the outdoors?

Nothing, that's if I could run easily in muggy summer weather or on snow- and ice-covered paths in winter. I know from experience that I cannot.

And the switch from walking/easy-running on pathways to walk/running on treadmills and cycling on a stationary bike at the YMCA is not a gigantic or unfamiliar leap for me.

In the early 2000s, while training for long-distance races (e.g., half- and full-marathons and my favourite, the 30K Around the Bay Roadrace in Hamilton), I left the paths behind in favour of treadmill running at the Downtown Y.

I had a few reasons at the time (e.g., I was training for triathlons and I wanted access to a good-sized pool), but, in my opinion, I basically felt I needed to fly solo if I wanted to qualify for the Boston Marathon. And believe it or not, my transition to treadmill running was smooth and successful. 

[Last Friday, Dec. 7, I ran 3 miles in about 30 minutes. Speed Merchant!]

In 2003, the job of creating doable workout schedules - that gradually included, over 3 - 4 months, more incline to increase leg strength, distance for improved stamina, and drills for increased speed - proved to be relatively easy, with helpful treadmill controls right at my fingertips.  

This past November I began Y workouts that were within my limits. I started with a walk/run treadmill routine in the 2 - 3 mile range (at an easy-pace), and was able to complete 4 slow and steady runs in the last week of the month. No problemo!

After five full weeks I can say this: I now regularly walk to the Y and back home (3 miles total), ride a bike for 20 - 40 minutes (equivalent to 1 - 2 miles of walking/running) to bring up my heart rate, and then run 2.5 miles or more without a break. My weekly average for mileage has increased by 30% (see above; 44 miles covered last week) with no ill effects.

Yesterday's journal entry. Next week I will try to hit 4.0 miles. Easy kap-easy?
(4550 = pushups, situps, stretches, weights for 2018)

I miss the paths. But my walk home from the Y is very satisfying.

I think I'm on the right track. Sveltness may be in my future : )

More to follow.

Please link to "I'm Goin' to the YMCA!" (1).

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment